Back from the Dead Cars
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A classic car restoration forum for folks that like to show off their car skills (Ford, Chevy, Mopar, AMC). Trucks, vans & bikes (even ricers) are also welcome here.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Did some explorin' with my BIL today...

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Torinocator

Torinocator

Did some explorin' with my BIL today... Empty
PostSubject: Did some explorin' with my BIL today...   Did some explorin' with my BIL today... EmptyWed Mar 10, 2010 12:03 pm

Bought some Timberland boots the other week and decided I needed to break them in.

Here are some pics of the remains of an old covered bridge that was destroyed by fire when I was in HS. Before it burned it was one of the last remaining covered bridges in the country. The center section burned away completely and apparently the rest was dismantled for safety reasons. Unfortunately the piers are all that remains of a bridge that was a testament to outstanding contruction talents of folks in the county.

Did some explorin' with my BIL today... Bridge01

Did some explorin' with my BIL today... Bridge02

Did some explorin' with my BIL today... Bridge03

Did some explorin' with my BIL today... Bridge04

Did some explorin' with my BIL today... Bridge05

Did some explorin' with my BIL today... Bridge06

Fortunately, my BIL knew of an old mill that was about 100 yards upstream from the bridge remains.

Did some explorin' with my BIL today... Mill01

Did some explorin' with my BIL today... Mill02

Here you can see the opening that allowed water to enter where the wheel was, which appears to have been inside the structure.

Did some explorin' with my BIL today... Mill03

Here is the view from inside looking the other way. It gives you an idea of how much silt has built up over the years.

Did some explorin' with my BIL today... Mill04

Here you can see where some of the stone used on the base was cut from.

Did some explorin' with my BIL today... Mill05

Did some explorin' with my BIL today... Mill06

Did some explorin' with my BIL today... Mill07

If you look closely, you will notice a few vertical lines that look like holes drilled for dynamite to blast the stone away.

Did some explorin' with my BIL today... Mill08

Did some explorin' with my BIL today... Mill09

The height of the stone base was about 20' above the water line at it's highest point. Here you also can see the outlet port for the channel that powered the mill wheel.

Did some explorin' with my BIL today... Mill10

Did some explorin' with my BIL today... Mill11

Did some explorin' with my BIL today... Mill12

Did some explorin' with my BIL today... Mill13

Did some explorin' with my BIL today... Mill14

Oh yeah, cat tracks, but they belong to a critter a little bigger than Finicky Morris.

Did some explorin' with my BIL today... Mill15

It was at this point my constitutional right to bear arms became a raging hormone. Laughing

I think I'll sling a rifle the next time I come this way. Smile Cool
Back to top Go down

Did some explorin' with my BIL today...
Page 1 of 1