Back from the Dead Cars
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A classic car restoration forum for folks that like to show off their car skills (Ford, Chevy, Mopar, AMC). Trucks, vans & bikes (even ricers) are also welcome here.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Correctly refinishing VS painting your car

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
RonKirkpatrick

RonKirkpatrick

Correctly refinishing VS painting your car Empty
PostSubject: Correctly refinishing VS painting your car   Correctly refinishing VS painting your car EmptyMon Mar 15, 2010 5:37 pm

when doing a correctly done car. you must start and use the same materials the factory used! as in Lacquer, Enamel, etc. Base clear was not around when any of the older cars were built. AND Acrylic Enamel (that we know today) was not invented until 1972. I know there are many driveway experts out there. Do your home work before you start doing your car. the body and paint make or break your car. that is the most important part of any restoration.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ronkirkpatrickcustoms.com
Torinocator

Torinocator

PostSubject: Re: Correctly refinishing VS painting your car   Correctly refinishing VS painting your car EmptyThu Mar 18, 2010 2:46 pm

I have gone back and forth between putting lacquer or a modern finish on mine.

The thinner-on-a-rag test confirms that both the orange and original red on mine is lacquer.

The problem is I haven't been able to find a good source for lacquer paint, much less being able to match the original color.

The only thing I have seen so far is Duplicolor's Paint Shop stuff.

Do you have any good sources for lacquer paint?
Back to top Go down
RonKirkpatrick

RonKirkpatrick

PostSubject: Re: Correctly refinishing VS painting your car   Correctly refinishing VS painting your car EmptyThu Mar 18, 2010 3:31 pm

I buy lacquer from auto body products Inc. Also subscribe to Hemmings motor news! I buy allot if stuff from there. I have a factory ford build manual on all cars and parts from 1960-76. Every car every part and numbers and how to build the car. Also all paint mixing formulas. Remember this lacquer looks like it's part of the car everything else looks like it's on the car! Use a good exopy primer and let it sit for a few months before you paint if you use bondo in your car so everything will shrink now and not in two years. I did cars back in late 70's early 80's still look like new in lacquer if you do it correctly you only need to do it once. I used to do duesenburg's and collector cars take your time. The new paint stuff is ok but look at the cars in 80's and 90's the clear is coming off ! The bonding process is better now. I use house of color and ppg high end stuff only. I am doing my NASCAR charger soon and it has tons of lettering on it. Check out my web site !
Back to top Go down
Torinocator

Torinocator

PostSubject: Re: Correctly refinishing VS painting your car   Correctly refinishing VS painting your car EmptyThu Mar 18, 2010 3:36 pm

I checked out your website last night.

The flame stuff is incredible! You have no small amount of talent.

What paint did you use on the 'Vette?
Back to top Go down
RonKirkpatrick

RonKirkpatrick

PostSubject: Re: Correctly refinishing VS painting your car   Correctly refinishing VS painting your car EmptyThu Mar 18, 2010 3:45 pm

House of kolor base clear. Sold it barret Jackson $498,000 I enjoy doing that stuff I have built many fords also. Want to buy a pair of mustangs? The 1970 ford drag team boss 429 cars drivin buy Ed Terry fully documented with canner motors! Also bob gliddens undefeated fairmont?
Back to top Go down
Torinocator

Torinocator

PostSubject: Re: Correctly refinishing VS painting your car   Correctly refinishing VS painting your car EmptyThu Mar 18, 2010 4:00 pm

Perhaps one day when I get my cement pond in Beverly. Very Happy

I am shop-challenged right now and don't have anymore space for more than I have now, which is the one Torino.

I am planning to call someone this week about renting some shop space. Got a feeling we're going to have a wet summer.

You should post up pics of the 'Stangs and Fairmont. bounce
Back to top Go down
RonKirkpatrick

RonKirkpatrick

PostSubject: Re: Correctly refinishing VS painting your car   Correctly refinishing VS painting your car EmptyThu Mar 18, 2010 4:06 pm

If I could figure out how to do the picture thingy. Maybe get my secratery to do it.
Back to top Go down
Torinocator

Torinocator

PostSubject: Re: Correctly refinishing VS painting your car   Correctly refinishing VS painting your car EmptyThu Mar 18, 2010 4:08 pm

Did you see the reply I made under the Welcome Aboard section?
Back to top Go down
RonKirkpatrick

RonKirkpatrick

PostSubject: Re: Correctly refinishing VS painting your car   Correctly refinishing VS painting your car EmptyThu Mar 18, 2010 10:21 pm

yes I did. takes allot of time. something I have little of. cant you make it copy and paste? I have over 12000 pictures of step by step stuff etc. I am very new at this forum thingy. I know in the mopar stuff you have all these experts on these things and bean counters, you know my car is one of one due to the pink ash tray... most of them dont even have a car. hahahahaha
Back to top Go down
Torinocator

Torinocator

PostSubject: Re: Correctly refinishing VS painting your car   Correctly refinishing VS painting your car EmptyThu Mar 18, 2010 10:38 pm

Smile

It took me about a month to get settled in on the other forum I am on.

Unfortunately no one can upload files to the forum because it would slow things down a lot and they'd run out of storage space.

The ACDSee program I have allows me to rename a series of files to one name then a number and that helps when I am posting a bunch of pics. I just increment the numbers on the link text that is posted. I also create individual sub-albums in Photobucket to organize my pics to speed things up a little.

You could probably get your secretary to do most of it for you then let you type the text of the message that would be posted next to the pics.

Just relax and take your time. No hurry at all.
Back to top Go down
Torinocator

Torinocator

PostSubject: Re: Correctly refinishing VS painting your car   Correctly refinishing VS painting your car EmptyFri Mar 19, 2010 11:07 am

I am just trying to go from boneyard status with mine to safe and reliable right now.  The vision I have for my Torino is GT=Gran Tourismo=Velvet Hammer.  Something that's comfortable on a 2-hour trip but is also a little unique and somewhat fast when it needs to be.

We don't live forever and cars were made to be driven.

Last edited by Torinocator on Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
mtdewcowboy

mtdewcowboy

PostSubject: Re: Correctly refinishing VS painting your car   Correctly refinishing VS painting your car EmptyFri Mar 19, 2010 12:53 pm

That vett is in my town now he bought it from BJ
Very nice car
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Correctly refinishing VS painting your car   Correctly refinishing VS painting your car Empty

Back to top Go down

Correctly refinishing VS painting your car
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Back from the Dead Cars :: Paint Booth-
Jump to: